For most parents, academic enrichment is important in their child’s development.
While summer is a great time for family activities like vacations, picnics, and special events, many parents want there children to have some intellectual stimulation during the summer vacation!
- Trips to the Georgia Aquarium or Zoo Atlanta
- Marine Biology excursions to Georgia’s coast
- Visits to the state’s many scenic parks and recreational destinations.
- Learning from Zoos! 11 Brilliant Mental Exercises for your Dog. Your Dog Advisor
- And of course, summer science camp!
Well, you have come to the right place! We have the remedy because there are great summer camp experiences you can expose your child to during the lazy days of summer. Well maybe not so lazy!
One idea is to send them to a great summer STEM camp.
Here are some questions to ask when exploring any science or technology camp.
- Will my child experience inquiry-based, interactive experiments and activities?
- Will the staff be knowledgeable and supportive in the camp environment?
- Will my child develop new academic skills and be exposed to a variety of STEM core concepts.
- And of course, will my child be in a safe and nurturing learning environment. What is the camper to counselor ratio?
Of course the answer should be yes to all of these questions and ratios of campers to staff should be in the 10-12 /1 range.
Here are 5 tips for preparing your child to get the most out of a Science Camp Experience!
- Encourage your child to have an open mind and allow them to explore more than one avenue to solve a problem. Discovering solutions to problems in science is not a linear process. Every answer that is obtained to a problem should foster additional questions to be explored.
- Celebrate all of your child’s inner creative self. In other words, let your child’s imagination run wild! There are no crazy ideas!
- Allow and be accepting of your child’s failures. Teach them to dust themselves off, put their heads down and tackle the problem again. Scientists sometimes spend years trying to get it “right”.
- Inform your little scientist that not everything in science is “exciting”. There are times when the work is slow and meticulous. Working with your child in the kitchen preparing recipes is a great way to convey the set-by-step process of conducting and experiment.
- Develop a regular schedule of science experiences at home. The family that experiments together has fun together. What is better than having fun in activities where the whole family is involved.
What is my next step?
Here at Club SciKidz Atlanta summer camps, we offer 54 different STEM themed camps. Everything form Veterinary Medicine to 3D Printing.
Your child will get to participate in a number of exciting experiments and activities like:
- Build a robotic arm that operates using water
- Learn about Stop Motion Animation.
- Navigate the Solar System with our Astronomy activities in Rocketry, model building and much more.
- Learning the chemistry behind preparing culinary delights.
Why not super charge your child’s summer? Please check out our website at clubscikidz.com
Club SciKidz-“Where Science and Technology Connect!”